SEEKING QUALIFIED CHILDCARE PROVIDER The Personnel Committee would like to hire someone to provide childcare on Sunday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 am. When no childcare is needed, this person would assist with the RE class. If you know anyone who is interested in earning $40 each Sunday and has completed the Red Cross (or similar) training, please contact Ruth Shepard (chair of Personnel Committee) at firstname.lastname@example.org with your recommendation. We will also be needing a volunteer each Sunday to help with the childcare in order to fulfill the “safe congregation” commitment to our children.
2018-19 STEWARDSHIP CAMPAIGN Please provide your 2018-19 pledge by December 31! Contact John Walter, Stewardship Chair or email Susan in the office.
COMMITTEES AND GROUPS
ALTAR DECORATIONS – REVIVING A TRADITION The Worship Committee would like to revive the longstanding tradition at KUUC of congregants providing Altar Decorations on Sunday mornings. An Altar Decoration can be a flower arrangement, a seasonal display, artwork, or creative expression of your choosing. It may be made in honor of or in memory of someone in your life or an event to commemorate. It may be something just for fun and creativity. If this is something that you would like to do please sign up on the board near the door of the Parish Hall and provide any information if you would like the altar decoration to be dedicated to someone or something. On the day that you designate, please have the altar decoration in place by 9:30 Sunday morning. Call 357-2675. Rachael Walter email@example.com
KUUC AMBASSADORS One of the ways that we make certain that newcomers to KUUC feel welcome and have their questions answered is through our “Ambassadors” program. Ambassadors are individuals who have volunteered to be the first point of contact for people who are new to our church or to Unitarian Universalism. Before each Sunday service, the Ambassador of the day will be introduced and asked to stand so our visitors know who they can talk to about KUUC. It is important to remember, however, that in some sense all members are Ambassadors so don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to someone you don’t recognize. If you are interested in becoming an Ambassador add your name to the sign-up sheet by the door to the Parish Hall.
ON THE INTERNET If you are new to KUUC, please feel free to join us in the Private Facebook Group, Keene UU Church. Simply click here: and ask to join. We will need to be able to recognize you as a friend or member. In that this is a private group, please remember: you may not share the pictures in the group unless they are your own. Sometimes there are photos of children whose parents may or may not want their child’s picture shared, as well as church members/friends.
RUG RAFFLE WINNERS! Winning tickets were drawn on December 2.
Large rug: Liz Wyman – Medium rug: Marlene Merrifield – Brown oval rug: Ronald Kee
SLICE – DECEMBER 7 Slice of Fellowship is a monthly potluck dinner open to all members and friends of KUUC and is held on the first Friday of every month during the church year in the parish hall. Wine to share and cheese are at 5:30 followed by dinner at 6:00 pm. You are asked to bring a veggie, main dish or dessert. Please bring your own dishes, flatware and napkins. Call Betty Forrest 357-1534 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
LIBERAL CHRISTIAN SCRIPTURES DISCUSSION GROUP – Our fellowship group meets at 5:00 PM on the first Tuesday of every month in the Keene UU Church Alliance Room, 69 Washington St., Keene. This group is for anyone inspired by the teachings of Jesus or who identifies with aspects of Christianity and would like to share their experiences, feelings and insights in a supportive environment, and support one another’s spiritual growth and understanding. This group is guided by our fourth UU principle (“a free and responsible search for truth and meaning”) and free of the doctrine or dogma that has often characterized traditional institutional Christianity. If you would like to learn more, please contact Carol Stamatakis. email@example.com or 603-863-4920/ 603-398-5389.
LUNCH BUNCH – DECEMBER 19 Senior Lunch Bunch is a monthly potluck luncheon open to all senior members and friends of KUUC, an opportunity to meet and socialize with peers. Please bring your own dishes, flatware and napkins. Call Betty Forrest at 357-1534, or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
THE COFFEE CONNECTION – DECEMBER 18, 8:30-10:30AM AT KRISTEN’S BAKERY IN KEENE Join us at this monthly, informal discussion with Rev. Michael. The Coffee Connection is an open conversation over coffee about whatever topics you want to discuss. Here are some things to know about it:
- Come as early as you are able, grab yourself a cup of coffee (not provided, sorry) and stay as long as you can. The two-hour time limit refers to how long I can stay that morning.
- Bring any questions, concerns and ideas that you would like to discuss.
- Please understand that there are some issues that might not be appropriate to discuss in a public setting and know that some concerns/issues that are voiced (related to Personnel for instance) can only be heard and not responded to for ethical reasons.
- I hope that the “Coffee Connection” itself will become a regular, monthly happening. If, in time, we decide that a particular topic warrants a whole 2-hour discussion, then we will make that happen. Otherwise, it will be entirely free form.
- Realizing that not everyone can make a morning gathering or, may not be able to be there on November 20th, I ask that you contact me email@example.com with your questions, ideas and concerns and we can either discuss them via email or I can bring them up with the group.
- Because there are some folks who would never be able to make a morning meeting I am also looking for input on when an afternoon or evening group could meet.
THE CONTEMPLATIVE COMMUNITY – DECEMBER 19, 7-8PM KUUC Alliance Room “The Contemplative Community” is our monthly contemplative worship service. In November we will focus on the theme of Gratitude, (what better topic on the Thanksgiving Eve). The service, which is centered in meditative and contemplative practices, will meet in the Alliance Room on the third Wednesday evening of every month.
Our hope is three-fold:
- To offer a regular, complementary worship service at time when people who might not be able to attend on Sunday morning—or simply long for more group spiritual time during the week—can join together.
- To offer a monthly service with a particular emphasis; in this case on contemplation. So, in this case the focus is contemplative practices which may include or combine: sitting meditation, walking meditation, labyrinth practices, chanting, visualization or other guided imagery practices.
- That this service will be the beginning of an effort to explore the possibility of holding weekly services on a different time and day of the week, not all of which would be contemplative.
- The idea is not to replace Sunday morning worship but to augment it.
Any ideas that you have about this should be directed to Rev. Michael mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or Worship Chair Jenn Wyman.
MIDDLE EAST STUDY GROUP LECTURE SERIES – MONDAY, JANUARY 14 The Middle East Study Group has planned a lecture series for the church year on Russia and Yemen. The second part of the series will be on Yemen under the titles of “Yemen: the Most Forgotten Country” and “Yemen: Statehood to Starvation.” Dates are Monday, January 14 and March 4 at 7:00 p.m. in the Parish Hall. Jim Smart is the presenter. Jim is Professor Emeritus from KSC and has long had a special interest in the Middle East. It is hoped that the church and the community will benefit from these updated perspectives.
SAVE THE DATE FOR 2019 FERRY BEACH! 2019 KUUC Ferry Beach Get-a-Way Weekend !
Friday, May 10 to Sunday, May 12