What’s Happening in our UU Movement? Submitted by Mary Heafy
- Save the Date for the Northern New England District Annual Assembly and Meeting – April 5-6 in Concord, NH. A block of hotel rooms is reserved at the Hampton Inn in Bow but Concord is also an easy drive from Keene. Scholarships available. Details to follow.
- The next face-to-face meeting of our UUA Board of Trustees is in Boston on January 25 and 26. Did you know that you are welcome to attend any meeting of the board AND if you go you will both observe and participate? It is a powerful connection with our faith to experience these volunteers and UUA staff in action. Mary Heafy is planning to attend on the 26th if anyone is interested in going. You can join face-to-face or video stream. https://www.uua.org/uuagovernance/board/meeting-dates
- Here is a great support from our UUA delivered to your inbox: Life is full of hard edges and complicated choices. Braver/Wiser gives you weekly message of courage and compassion for life as it is. Every Wednesday we deliver an original written reflection by a contemporary religious leader, and brief prayer, grounded in Unitarian Universalism. Join the Braver/Wiser community and sign up today! https://www.uua.org/braverwiser
- How are UUs being represented in the world right now? Our UUA President the Rev. Susan Frederick-Gray is joining other UUs in Florida to advocate for Florida’s amendment #4, the second chance amendment, to restore the voting rights to over 1M felony offenders. Only 4 states in the US prohibit anyone who has been convicted of a felony from ever This work connects with our Universalist heritage that believes everyone can and should be redeemed, and our UU belief that everyone should have a voice.
- From our UU Service Committee: Take Action to Oppose Family Separation & Detention Congress is once again considering massive funding increases for immigration detention, deportation, and criminalization of immigrants. Follow this link for more information. https://www.uusc.org/resources/tools-for-taking-action/migrant-justice/take-action-oppose-family-separation-detention/
- Next UN Ambassador Must Be Voice for Human Rights October 11, 2018. S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley’s surprise resignation on Monday highlights the dangers of the Trump administration’s continued disengagement from the global community, as well as the need for U.S. leadership to show a more genuine commitment to human rights and the international rule of law. Want more info: https://www.uusc.org/next-un-ambassador-must-be-voice-for-human-rights/